As a teaching tool, my favorite component within Evernote is the web clipper. With the web clipper, you can select an image or excerpt and add annotations (notes, highlighting, underlining, circling, etc.). Check out the image below: The have clipped an article, circled "At Work," added the green check mark, highlighted Benjamin Franklin's quote, added the arrow for emhasis, and blurred the image in the sidebar. As far as the SAMR model, it can be used more in the substitution or augmentation of learning as an enhancement. I think it can be used to add a creative and individualized way to gather data for students; however, I don't see it is a transformative tool for modifying or redefining learning. What do you guys think?
For planning, it's always nice to be able to save articles or images we see online that might be good for classroom instruction in an organized manner. In this regard, Evernote is very similar to Pinterest. You can save notebooks like the boards on Pinterest. Unlike Pinterest, you can keep track of more than just "pins." Evernote is designed to keep track of notes, reminders, planning, and other materials; plus, you can share your notes and notebooks with other users. While it's a good tool for planning, I think the gold in Evernote is the ability to show students how to annotate a text and share online materials with them. Students would be able to conduct online research and share with you or their classmates their notes, thinking, and progress; this falls into the learning and communicating facets of education.
Also, there's an app! I have it on my phone now, anything I can access and use to full effect from my phone or iPad immediately becomes something I'll actually try to use. That may sound weird, but I spend very little time at my laptop and tons of time with my phone, for instance, when I'm sitting watching the girls at gymnastics, I do not lug my laptop along with me and their stuff. I will for sure have my phone and maybe my iPad, and I can usually get a solid 30-45 minutes of work done while I'm sitting there. And it has a chat feature, which could be good for collaborating and sharing work with other teachers....students could chat with other students through the app, hopefully that wouldn't become a distraction for them though.
I think this is something I will try to incorporate in my planning mostly to keep track of articles, images, etc. that I might want to use in future lessons. For me, note-taking and data-gathering is a huge part of a language arts and social studies classroom, so I will use it for annotating purposes as well. How might you use this in your classroom? Or for personal use? I am already filling my Evernote with Chloe's birthday party plans... ;)
This looks like a cool tool that is worth exploring! I do a lot of stuff in Google, and most of my stuff is saved in the Drive. This looks like another way to store things, and it might be even easier. I will have to look at this technology more, but it definitely looks like something I should check out!
ReplyDeleteI also use Pinterest to save things, but this could be something I use just for teaching. Plus since this is made for teaching, it has a planning component, which is nice as well! I also like that there is an app on this, so you can use your phone. I will have to check this out more in depth. Thank you for the suggestion and the overview!
I just noticed I forgot to delete the prompt when I published... It is similar to Pinterest. The one thing I like about it is that you can clip out one specific part of a webpage and incorporate it into a notebook. On Pinterest you can share pins or boards, but I like the idea of sharing a note or notebook with students that could be collaborated on. It seems a little more private than Pinterest, too, since your notebooks are private unless shared; whereas Pinterest boards are public unless specifically made private.
DeleteMichelle,
ReplyDeleteI have not used EverNote before, but the way you use it seems like it would be a good way to help students learn time management. I think I started using a planner in 5th or 6th grade. I remember writing down all of my assignments and making little notes about things I wanted to do or games I wanted to play. My planners became the link between my school and personal life.
I think you are right about the SAMR model. If students are introduced to talking notes by concatenating all their ideas in one place, it might make for a better studying tool. I remember the transition from elementary school to middle school. So many new notebooks, a huge binder, and papers galore. If students were able to keep all their notes in one place, over the years, they will be able to reference back and add/modify/develop what they already have.
All my notebooks are covered in dust in my parents basement... ! I wish that I had them all stored digitally.
Would this be possible in EverNote? I know I have been using my Google Drive for this, but it is sometimes annoying organizing files.
I think you could definitely use it to upload excerpts and now to track new strategies and tools as we attend LID days and seminars. Sometimes I take notes and then I can't remember why I thought it was important; I think the annotation tool can help with remembering specifics and storing the details. My Google Drive is so full of a hodgepodge of Docs that I start and don't need and is constantly needing organization, I think Evernote may be a good place to keep more focused notes.
DeleteI have never used Evernote before, either, but it seems like a great interactive tool. I noticed a lot of students struggle with note taking and time management, and I think this resource would help with that. I agree with Matt, that this would make a great study aid, and that all my notebooks are covered in dust in boxes. I will have to check this tool out.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to investigating it more, too. I think it can be a good place to organize and store little notes or images that might be helpful in the future.
Delete