
PADLET: Padlet (www.padlet.com) is a great tool for collaboration, formative assessment, and student voice. This is an app I have actually used a few times in my classroom and I love it, and here's why:
- It's super easy to use. You can figure it out in a matter of minutes. It also takes little set-up and is easy for students to learn and use. Once you create a Padlet, all you have to do is provide the link. Click here to check out one I created for you: EDUC 538 Padlet Try making a post, click on the plus-sign in the bottom right corner.
- Padlet is basically an online bulletin board where students can post whatever they want (text, links, images, videos...).
- Students are able to share thoughts and ideas and they love it. It can be difficult to hear from all students and this is excellent for viewing their feedback all at once. This is the formative assessment piece, there aren't a lot of tools this simple where you can assess so quickly.
- Posts are anonymous, but if needed, you can have them add their names.

Padlet is versatile and easy, I like to use it for entry tasks and for sharing group work. As far as SAMR is concerned, here are some ideas of how Padlet could be used to reach each criteria:
- Substitution: Switching Padlet for answering an entry task in a notebook
- Augmentation: Continuing from the example for substitution, after answering an entry task, responding to other posts in lieu of discussion
- Modification: Providing a forum for students to post multimedia research while completing group work. Students can see, share, and work from any device with internet capability.
- Redefinition: Learning can be transformed because they can build on each other's thinking and research from anywhere. It can function similarly to realtimeboard.com in that students could post graphics which synthesize their learning and have a forum for meta-cognition.
I know I will continue to use this app in my classroom, I recommend checking it out if you haven't already. Here is a video of how to use Padlet:
I really like this. I love seeing all of your guys' tools for older kids and seeing how I could use them in my own class. I really like the redefinition and how the students can build off each others ideas. I tried it and it was super easy! Awesome, thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI saw a youtube video that was titled "How to Use Padlet with Kindergarteners," maybe you could use it afterall. Thanks for trying out the link!
DeleteMichelle, have you looked or used Trello before? This seems like a similar Web 2.0 tool. In my Social Justice group I am making a video about how to use Trello, let me know what you think.
ReplyDeleteI checked out Trello, I would have loved to have used that for my leadership class this past year. I think that looks like a great tool for accountability for group work, thanks for the tip!
DeleteThis is SUPER cool!!! I really love the idea of using this for student voice-- it would be so quick and easy! I think even to brainstorm classroom rules and expectations at the beginning of the year to get students brainstorming together could set a good tone for the year. Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely be using it!
ReplyDeleteI love that idea, too! It can be used for so many things, definitely a versatile app!
ReplyDelete